This is a list of the music that was special to us, and that has had an affect on me, even if it is just because it got stuck in my head. This is a living page, so check back often. Like the books and film pages, the first four entries here will remain semi-static.
- Entry one will be whatever album is setting the tone for me that day/week.
- Entries two and three will be the celebration playlists.
- Entry four will be music referenced in blog entries.
- Past album entries start in the the fifth slot.
Album of the Moment:
October 30, 2016
Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express
Playlist for Melissa's Phoenix Celebration
Here is the tracklist for the celebration held for Melissa on July 16th, 2016. I selected each of these songs specifically because the meant something to us. All of the entries were drawn from mixtapes that we made for each other over the years.
- Red Moon - The Walkmen (album: You & Me)
- Albuquerque - Neil Young (album: Tonight's The Night)
- Out in the Country - 3 Dog Night
- Turn on Me - The Shins (album: Wincing the Night Away)
- Canyon Girl - The Fruit Bats (album: Spelled in Bones)
- Chancellor - Gordon Downie (album: Coke Machine Glow)
- The Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix
- Landslide - Fleetwood Mac
- America - Simon & Garfunkel (album: Bookends)
- New Slang - The Shins (album: Oh, Inverted World)
- Fly - Nick Drake (album: Bryter Laughter)
- Green Eyes - Coldplay (album: A Rush of Blood To The Head)
- Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain - Willie Nelson (album: Red Headed Stranger)
- Sprawl II - Arcade Fire (album: The Suburbs)
- Fields of Gold - Sting
- I'll Be Around - Yo La Tengo (album: Fade)
Playlist for Melissa's Virginia Celebration
We played the music on random, so I can't tell you what played when. I can tell you that The Flaming Lips - Summertime was the first song and Curt Kirkwood's Circles was the last song. Without further ado, here is the music we had in Virginia.
Music Referenced in the Blog
- Make Something. - 11/10/16
- My Sorrowful Country - 11/8/16
- Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Loyal To My Sorrowful Country
- The Great Pumpkin Retrospective - 10/31/16
- Pumpkins carved to look like Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd, and Radiohead album covers.
- Through the Looking Glass - 10/30/16
- Sad Songs and Waltzes - 10/22/16
- Title is a reference to an old Willy Nelson song of the same name
- Too many other songs referenced to count.
- Waiting For The End Of The World - 10/16/16
- Title is a reference to an old Elvis Costello song of the same name
- Schrodinger - 10/14/16
- Was listening to Radiohead's Kid A, referenced in column.
- Sesame Chicken With White Rice - 10/6/16
- In part remembering my favorite record store
- Monkey Business - 10/3/16
- Too many to list, mostly circa 1997
- But You Go On - 10/1/16
- October - U2: (Title is from lyrics)
- A-B-C: Always Be Closing - 9/30/16
- The Weather - Built to Spill: (last line is from lyrics)
- An American Story - 9/27/16
- The Best Ever Death Metal Band From Denton - The Mountain Goats
- The Sound of German Hip-Hop - 9/9/16
- Happy Birthday Melissa - 9/3/16
- Melissa's birthday playlist, 2016
- Heaven Is A Truck - 8/28/16
- Heaven is a Truck - Pavement
- I Am Here. I Am Present - 8/20/16
- I Felt Your Shape - The Microphones
- One Too Many Mornings - 8/18/16
- One Too Many Mornings - Bob Dylan
- Old Songs From Nowhere - 8/12/16
- Too many to list
- Blog entry title is from Distant Stations by the Mountain Goats
- I am going to make it through this year if it kills me - 8/8/16
- This Year - The Mountain Goats
- Along in the Sun and the Rain - 8/2/16
- Along in the Sun and the Rain - Woody Guthrie
- Yer Blues - 8/6/16
- Yer Blues - The Beatles
- A Sort of Homecoming - 7/21/16
- A Sort of Homecoming - U2
- Melissa's Slideshow - 7/17/16